Following representation from local residents in 1937 the Municipal Council decided to investigate the possibility of constructing the town’s first lawn bowling green. The Lands Department of the day in agreement with the Maritime Services Board approved the release of part of the Pilot Station recreation reserve.
This area became the site of the Club first green and original Club house, the cost of developing the green was a total sum of 470 pounds ($940). The cost of the excavation was 20 pounds, construction of the green 350 pounds, windmill, and piping and tank 50 pounds, fencing 40 pounds and contingencies 10 pounds. Work was commenced in July 1937 and completed in September 1937.
A meeting was held on the 16th December 1937 for the formation of the Port Macquarie Bowling Club (men only); Mr. H.T. O’Neil was elected the first President. Bowls were played on the new green for the first time on the 22nd of December 1937.